If you enjoy dabbling in various types of artwork, you might enjoy diamond painting, also referred to as 3d or 5d diamond painting. With origins from Asia, it has quickly spread across the world as a calming and enjoyable activity for all ages.
It is similar to using paint-by-numbers or to creating mosaics. Diamond painting can be found in a variety of types. You can paint with diamonds kits, or you can do DIY diamond painting and buy diamond painting supplies separately.
Kits are great for those who have not done any diamond painting before. For those who are ready for a bigger challenge, creating pictures on your own would be great to try as well. If you are a beginner, you might be confused about the meaning of 3d and 5d diamond painting, as well as the differences between the various types of kits.
In this article, we will explain the differences between 3d and 5d diamond painting, and we will outline the different types of drills and kits. In this way, we’ll help you make the best purchase!
1. 3D vs 5D Diamond Painting
- 3D Diamond painting involves placing small rhinestones or beads, also called “drills”, onto either a numbered or a blank canvas. The drills are approximately 2.5×2.5mm. 3d diamond painting are made of drills that have 9 total facets – 3 on each side.
- 5D Diamond painting involves working with drills that have 5 facets on each side for a total of 15 facets. Therefore, these drills tend to have more sparkle since there are more facets. Using these drills will also make the finished product appear to have more depth.
2. Types of Drills
There are 2 types of drills:
1. Round Drills are easier for beginners. This is because while they don’t create a super-shimmery, detailed effect when finished, their shape is forgiving. This means that you don’t need to worry about creating straight lines.
2. Square Drills are for those who have progressed in this art past the beginner stage. These drills require more skill and precision, since they need to be perfectly lined up. They are considerably more difficult, but the result is very rewarding.
Kits come with a wide range of canvas prints. Nature lovers will love the beautiful seashore prints, such as “The Lighthouse by the Sea” or the “Panoramic Autumn Landscapes Square Diamond Painting“.
Please bear in mind that the desired result depends on the size of the canvas. If you’re just starting out, you can start with a smaller canvas, which will be less expensive. The finished product will not look as detailed though. As you get better, you will want to move to larger canvases, which are full of minute details. When you step back and look at a larger canvas, you can barely see that it’s made up of thousands of little beads!
Purchasing a kit is the easiest way to get started. Once you buy a kit, you will have everything you need. In other words, you can get started right away in creating your diamond painting masterpiece.
4. Types of Kits
Depending on the complexity of the project that you want to take on, you can get different types of kits. Keep these types in mind before you purchase a kit so that you can fully enjoy the process of diamond painting.
- The Full DrillKitcontains a canvas which is entirely printed with symbols, and the artist will affix drills to the corresponding symbols on the whole canvas. The result of full drills is a picture that stands out much more than a simple framed print. The only downside is that this is a large and time-consuming process, requiring a lot of patience. But the good thing is that completing a canvas of this magnitude would give you a great sense of accomplishment! An example of full drill kit is the amazing “Red Pegasus Diamond Painting“.
- The Multi-paneled Kitcan contain either a full or partial drill canvas. The only difference is that multi-panelled prints involve completing more than just one picture for the entire set to be completed. This is great for large decorating projects, as the multiple panels can be hung on a wall. Take a look at the “Elephant Square Multi-Diamond Painting“.
Diamond painting is a hobby that can be entertaining and calming. Regardless of your skill level, the right canvas and kit are out there for you. The finished project is one that will awe and inspire anybody who sees it.
We hope that we have helped you learn about the difference between 3d and 5d diamond paintings. The next time you purchase a kit, you will be able to make an informed decision. Also, you will no longer be intimidated by the number of choices there are – just like a pro.