In our busy lives, many of us have started searching for ways to de-stress and refocus. In the past, puzzles and crafting have been popular respites. Now, many people are discovering diamond painting.
Diamond painting is a gratifying new alternative that mixes elements of paint by number, jigsaw puzzles, and cross stitch. It is suited for novice and expert crafters alike. Yes, you can paint with diamonds to create a beautiful display, all while enjoying the therapeutic process of piecing it together.
In this article, we’ll outline everything you need to embark on your diamond painting journey!
1. How to get started
To start your diamond painting masterpiece, you’ll first need to select a suitable diamond art kit. All kits contain the 4 following tools with few variations:
- A fabric template, colored with squares which evoke pixel art. This is your guide for diamond placement. At this stage, remember not to remove the protective sheet covering your fabric template.
- Bags of diamonds, each labeled with a code referring to a color on the guide provided. Depending on the kit you receive, the labeling system may vary. Some will use numbers, letters, symbols or a combination of these, based on the complexity of the painting you’ll be composing. Whichever system is used, the bags of diamonds are marked to match the corresponding color and symbol table.
- An applicator tool, along with the wax or ‘glue’. It may not seem like a large amount, but this is because you don’t need to use much to apply the diamonds. Likewise, you won’t need to heat or melt the wax before using it.
- A tray for arranging your beads. You can choose to work on a single color at a time or work section by section using all colors, it’s entirely up to you!
Find Out More: What to look for when buying a diamond painting kit
2. 4 easy steps to diamond painting
- Prearrange your diamond painting supplies. This not only facilitates your progress, but it greatly improves the calming, focusing aspects of the entire process. If you choose to work with multiple colors at once, make sure you set up all the colors you will be using. You may also need to use the craft tray to keep your diamonds organized. When laying out the diamonds, make sure you arrange them in a single, flat layer, with the rounded sides down.
- Peel back part of the protective sheet covering the fabric template. Do not remove all of the plastic, as this will cause the fabric template to lose its stickiness.
- Apply a small amount of wax to the applicator to pick up your selected gem.
- Put the diamond on the corresponding spot and, gently but firmly, press it against the fabric template.
3. Find the right diamond painting toolkit for you
As you begin DIY diamond painting, you’ll want to find the best diamond painting toolkits for your level of experience and aesthetic tastes. Kits include a relatively limitless diversity of subjects, as well as a wide range of sizes and skill levels.
While landscapes, animals, and flora remain popular, diverse muses have come to the scene for those with funkier tastes. From quirky seasonal scenes to religious and spiritual subjects, from intriguing portraits to colorful abstract themes, every crafter can find their niche.
Whichever subject matter you choose, diamond painting kits offer these unique depictions in many different sizes. Some choose smaller kits to create small artworks in just a few sittings. On the other hand, other crafters enjoy being engrossed by the minute details of the larger fabric templates and, therefore, they prefer bigger kits that they can complete over the course of many days.
Another option is the multi-panel kit, which also comes in different sizes and a great variety of pictures and subjects. The Landscape Waterfall Square Multi-Diamond Painting and the Gold Magnolia Round Special Shape are two great examples of that. The finished diamond paintings form a comprehensive dimensional piece from coordinating templates.
A completed diamond painting is a versatile work of art. There’s no doubt a diamond painting can quickly become a centerpiece, regardless of its placement.
Thanks to the material of the template, made of canvas or other fabric, you can choose to display your work of art anywhere you like, with or without a frame. Some examples are bags and accessories, as well as decorative pillows and throws. This depends on the size of your diamond painting and the surface you’ll be embellishing, of course.
Some crafters love the seasonal and holiday-themed diamond painting kits. These completed paintings often earn a place of prominence among the holiday displays. Customized pictures or quotes are also popular choices to adorn doors or greeting rooms.
Whether small, large, or multi-paneled, there is a perfect diamond painting kit for every interested crafter. Needing only the tools included in the kit, diamond painting is a complete masterpiece project included in a single, tidy kit. Of course, this only adds to its appeal, especially for those seeking diamond painting for its relaxing effects. Regardless of your reason for interest, there is a diamond painting kit for you!