Diamond painting is an easy and enjoyable activity for both young and old crafters. Based on the same concept as mosaics and paint-by-numbers, diamond painting uses tiny “diamond”-like facets to create colorful designs and patterns for finished designs that sparkle. Applying the diamonds is a simple three-step process that is meditative and relaxing, providing hours of enjoyment as you re-create your design. Diamond painting kits are available in a variety sizes and styles from simple to elaborate so crafters of all skill levels can find a project to enjoy.
1. What’s Included
Although diamond painting kits vary depending on the company, they all contain the same basic materials:
- Fabric printed with design chart
- Colorful diamonds
- Diamond applicator tool
- Tub of wax
2. Getting Started
- Dip the tip of the applicator tool into the wax. The wax will enable you to pick up the diamonds.
- Look at your chart and determine which color diamond to use. Press the tip of the applicator tool to the rounded side of the diamond.
- Pull back the plastic film to uncover the area you are working on and carefully press the diamond onto the symbol.
- Repeat Steps 1–3 until your design is complete.
- After positioning the last diamond, lay the protective film over the top of the design. Using a rolling pin, gently roll over the design to secure the diamonds on the sticky surface.
3. Displaying Your Finished Artwork
Diamond painting designs are a great way to add a bit of pizazz to your décor. You may come up with ideas of your own, but here are a few options to get you started:
Frame: This is the easiest option. Remove the glass pane from the frame as it will dull your design’s sparkle.
Wall Hanging: If you have simple sewing skills, you can easily create a fabric wall hanging with your design. Pick out a coordinating fabric to create a border and backing for your project.
Pillow: Depending on the size of your design, it could make a fabulous new accent pillow on a chair or sofa. Pick out a coordinating fabric to create a border and backing for your pillow and stuff with fiberfill or a pillow form. Please make note of the care instructions at the bottom of this article if using this option.
Book Cover: Finished diamond painting designs can also create unique and flashy school supplies, photo albums, and scrapbooks. Trim the finished design as desired and adhere to flat, smooth book cover with double-sided foam tape. You could also use hook-and-loop tape to make your diamond painting designs interchangeable!
4. Care Instructions
If your fabric becomes soiled while you work, you can clean it by gently wiping with a cold, damp cloth. Avoid scrubbing. Do not wash, iron, or dry clean.