In our busy lives, many of us have started searching for ways to de-stress and refocus. In the past, puzzles and crafting have been popular respites. Now, many people are discovering diamond painting.
Diamond painting is a gratifying new alternative that mixes elements of paint by number, jigsaw puzzles, and cross stitch. It is suited for novice and expert crafters alike. Yes, you can paint with diamonds to create a beautiful display, all while enjoying the therapeutic process of piecing it together.
In this article, we’ll outline everything you need to embark on your diamond painting journey!
1. How to get started
To start your diamond painting masterpiece, you'll first need to design and order your custom Diamond Painting kit. All kits contain the 4 following tools with few variations:
- A fabric template, colored with squares which evoke pixel art. This is your guide for diamond placement. At this stage, remember not to remove the protective sheet covering your fabric template.
- Bags of diamonds, each labeled with a code referring to a color on the guide provided. Depending on the kit you receive, the labeling system may vary. Some will use numbers, letters, symbols or a combination of these, based on the complexity of the painting you'll be composing. Whichever system is used, the bags of diamonds are marked to match the corresponding color and symbol table.
- An applicator tool, along with the wax or 'glue'. It may not seem like a large amount, but this is because you don't need to use much to apply the diamonds. Likewise, you won't need to heat or melt the wax before using it.
- A tray for arranging your beads. You can choose to work on a single color at a time or work section by section using all colors, it's entirely up to you!
Find Out More: 6 Steps To Diamond Painting
2. 4 easy steps to diamond painting
- Prearrange your diamond painting supplies. This not only facilitates your progress, but it greatly improves the calming, focusing aspects of the entire process. If you choose to work with multiple colors at once, make sure you set up all the colors you will be using. You may also need to use the craft tray to keep your diamonds organized. When laying out the diamonds, make sure you arrange them in a single, flat layer, with the rounded sides down.
- Peel back part of the protective sheet covering the fabric template. Do not remove all of the plastic, as this will cause the fabric template to lose its stickiness.
- Apply a small amount of wax to the applicator to pick up your selected gem.
- Put the diamond on the corresponding spot and, gently but firmly, press it against the fabric template.
A completed diamond painting is a versatile work of art. There's no doubt a diamond painting can quickly become a centerpiece, regardless of its placement.
Thanks to the material of the template, made of canvas or other fabric, you can choose to display your work of art anywhere you like, with or without a frame. Some examples are bags and accessories, as well as decorative pillows and throws. This depends on the size of your diamond painting and the surface you'll be embellishing, of course.
Whether small, large, or multi-paneled, there is a perfect diamond painting kit for every interested crafter. Needing only the tools included in the kit, diamond painting is a complete masterpiece project included in a single, tidy kit. Of course, this only adds to its appeal, especially for those seeking diamond painting for its relaxing effects. Regardless of your reason for interest, there is a diamond painting kit for you!